Temporomandibular Joint Disorder
Do you suffer from headache?
Is chewing food uncomfortable or painful?
Do you hear any popping or crackling sound when you move your jaw?
Are you not able to open your mouth freely ,smoothly and as wide as you were accustomed to doing?
If the answer to any of these questions is yes then
You could be suffering from Temporomandibular Disorder or TMD.
Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD) is a name given to the whole spectrum of problems that affect the Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ). You have two TMJ joints, located just in front of your ears, where they connect your jawbone to your skull. If you have a disorder of the TMJ, you may experience tenderness or pain in the jaw and near the ear and headaches. It can also cause difficulty with chewing and eating, and with opening and closing your mouth. You may also hear a clicking or popping noise whenever you move your jaw.
The cause of TMD is not always clear. It can result from
-an injury to the jaw or
-long term grinding of your teeth.
-Sometimes the cause is genetic, caused by a tissue disease
-or even stress-related.
It may even be a combination of these factors. However, we don’t need to know the cause to address and treat the discomfort. You don’t have to suffer from TMD pain.
There can be one to many signs and symptoms of TMD.These may be-
- Pain and/ or tenderness on the side of your face jaw, joint area, neck, shoulders and in/around your ears; especially when you chew, speak or open your mouth
- clicking/ popping/ grating sounds during mouth opening, closing or chewing. This may or may not be painful
- swelling on the side of your face
- jaws that get locked or stuck in the open or closed mouth position
- jaw clenching and teeth grinding
- problems when you open your mouth too wide
- trouble chewing or a sudden uncomfortable bite (upper and lower teeth not fitting together)
- unexplained broken fillings or crowns
- sensitive teeth
- teeth moving out of position
- worn out or chipped teeth
We at Ur’s Toothfully will begin with a careful examination of the jaw area that may include dental x-rays. Then we will discuss your case and provide the best treatment option for your situation, based on our examination findings.
The treatment is unique because it integrates a wide variety of medical disciplines, such as Dentistry, Physiotherapy, Massage Therapy, Acupuncture and Osteopathy.
Following the diagnosis of joint disorder, our specialist will discuss your treatment options which will aim to recalibrate your occlusalcontacts. The treatment modalities may include-
- Wearing a Night guard- This custom splint therapy prevents teeth grinding which is the leading cause for TMJ disorder symptoms
- Restorations- Bite equilibration can be done using fillings, onlays and crowns especially when teeth are worn out, damaged or not making proper contact
- Orthodontic treatment- this is used to relieve jaw tension and resolve biting problems by properly aligning your teeth
Each of these disciplines offers a unique advantage to the treatment of your TMJ pain. Urs Toothfully provides the most comprehensive treatment of Temporomandibular Disorder available. The strength of our program lies in prioritizing our interventions, combining our treatment modalities and matching them with individual patient’s needs .Don’t suffer from jaw pain any longer. Call us today.